Every time you hire someone, it is an investment of time, money, and resources. And it is crucial to make this investment diligently.
Whether you are a million-dollar company or a small one, it doesn’t matter who you are; you will require the best employees for your company.
And for this, you will need a reliable background check and screening service.
So if you are someone who is looking for a company that can help you in pre-employment screening, then stick to the article till the end as we are going to give you a detailed account of Checkr.
Let’s get started.
|Guide||Is Checkr Safe?|
|Features||Laws limiting reportability, and more|
Checkr is a background check and screening company that was founded in 2014. It was founded by Daniel Yanisse, a software engineer.
The company’s main motive was to provide a fair chance at screening.
They wanted to show that a criminal sentence should never be a life sentence to unemployment. Their laws limiting reportability feature helps you in that.
Checkr is an advanced AI-driven platform that helps mitigate risk and expedite your hiring process.
Using their services, you can access a person’s criminal record, education history, driving record, and more.
Read: Publicseek Overview
Read: BeenVerified Reviews
Why Should You Choose Checkr?
No matter what size of the company you have, Checkr allows you to run background checks easily and quickly.
The fact that companies like Netflix, Uber, Airbnb, etc., have used their services adds more to their creditworthiness.
Checkr lets you run a comprehensive background check complying with state and federal laws.
Checkr offers a full read-out of your applicant’s criminal record directly from the court.
And the best part is that it notifies you if a new case is registered against them through its continuous monitoring system.
You can even run a local or international background check as they have access to data from 223 countries.
If this doesn’t excite you, then its unique features definitely will. Continue reading to know more.
What To Expect From Your Background Check?
Features Of Checkr
It offers some really unique and exciting features. Let’s have a look at them:
Positive Adjudication Matrix
The standard of assessment or reports varies from company to company. And as such, this feature comes in handy. This feature helps you display the kind of charges you want to display in your report.
For this, you simply have to apply the filter, which will give you narrowed-down results based on your preference. This feature helps in eliminating unnecessary information for faster results.
Laws limiting reportability
Many times, background check reports offered by many platforms consist of old records and charges, which reduces the fair chance of employment. Using this feature, you can get a report based on location-specific laws. This helps you in making a more prudent decision.
Continuous monitoring system
Checkr employed this feature to update you on criminal and driving-related offenses. Suppose you have hired an employee, and if later sometime, they get involved in a certain crime, as soon as it gets reported, you will get notified of the same.
What Reports Does Checkr Offer?
The various types of reports and checks offered by Checkr are:
- Civil Background Checks
- Criminal Background Checks
- Employment Verification
- International Background Checks
- Driver and MVR Background Checks
- Credit Background Checks
- Drug Testing & Health Screening
- Education Verification
- Reference Checks
- Professional License Verification
- Heathcare Sanctions
- Continous Checks
Let us have a detailed look at what all information can you find in these specific searches.
1. Civil Background Checks
- County civil records check
- Federal civil records check
2. Criminal Background Checks
- National criminal records check
- County criminal records check
- Federal criminal records check
- State criminal records check
- Global watchlist search
- Sex offender registry searches
- FACIS searches
- SSN-less reports
- SSN trace and address history
- Continuous crim
3. Employment Verification
- International employment verification
- US employment verification
- Reference checks
4. International Background Checks
- International criminal search
- Adverse media search
- Global watchlist records
- International employment verification
- International education verification
- International identity document verification
5. Driver and MVR Background Checks
- Motor vehicle records (MVR) checks
- Continuous MVR
6. Credit Background Checks
7. Drug Testing & Health Screening
- Occupational health screening
- Multi-panel drug screenings
8. Education Verification
- International education verification
- Professional license verification
- US education verification
9. Reference Checks
- Personal and professional reference checks
10. Professional License Verification
- Veterinary medicine
- Mental health
- Coast Guard
- Real estate
- IT (Technology)
11. Heathcare Sanctions
- FACIS Level 1 / 1M
- FACIS Level 3
12. Continous Checks
Industries You Can Use Checkr For
Checkr offers customized solutions for background checks for different industries including:
- Gig & Marketplace Economy
- Tech Companies
- Food Services
- Non-profits & Volunteers
Checkr Pros And Cons
Checkr Pricing And Plans
It offers the following plans:
- Employment Pro: $47
- Employment Verification: $9
- Education Verification: $9
- Pro background check: $29
- Standard background check: $21
- Driver Pro: $33
- Driver Standard: $25
How Does A Background Check Work?
Now let’s have a look at the process behind carrying out background checks:
- The first step will be to create your account. We have described the singing-up process below.
- Once you register yourself, Checkr will verify your account and send you an email with a secure login.
- Now simply log in to your account and run your first check. You will get all the relevant results pertaining to it in the same place.
- If you want to run background checks in high volume, then Checkr will provide you with a relevant team that will help you set up and run background checks.
What Is A Background Check Procedure’s Turnaround Time?
According to Checkr, ordering background checks takes a minute, and 84% of their reports get completed in fifteen minutes.
Their average turnaround time for a report is 3-5 business days, and it can be more than this depending upon the candidate’s location, county courthouse operations, etc.
We feel that this is one of the downsides of Checkr. However, it can be overlooked for the accuracy and amount of information.
How To Sign-Up On Checkr?
Follow the steps below to use it:
1. Head to their website, and click on the “Sign in” option.
2. Now fill in your business email ID in the box that appears or log in with your Google account.
3. A new page will open, now fill in all the information about your company, click on continue, and you will get a verification link on your email.
4. Click on the verification link and your account will be created.
How To Unsubscribe From Checkr?
If you do not want to use Checkr anymore and want to unsubscribe from the platform, then you can do so by simply contacting their customer service.
For this, you can go to their website and access the customer support page.
Checkr Candidate Portal
Checkr offers an end-to-end candidate portal that allows trust-building and conversion during the background check process. Checkr’s candidate portal offers the following features:
- Mobile-friendly portal: You can access Checkr’s first-class candidate portal easily right on your phone.
- Dedicated support: Checkr offers a built-in FAQ section in the portal so that the candidate does not have confusion or unanswered doubts.
- Automation: The portal automates common workflows so that you have a smooth background check process.
- Transparency: The candidate can access their real-time statuses on a county-level background check which helps in reducing the dropout rate.
- Internationally available: Checkr’s candidate portal is available in the U.S. and even internationally.
- Simple candidates forms: Forms, authorizations, disclosures, and disputes are easy and quick for the candidate to complete thanks to their built-in error detector.
Does Checkr Notify the Person?
Checkr is an employee background check platform, and as per FCRA rules, you cannot run an employment background check without the consent of the candidate.
Since you cannot use Checkr without obtaining the consent of the person concerned, the question of notification does not arise.
Is Checkr Anonymous?
No, Checkr is not an anonymous platform since you cannot use it without the consent of the person you are running a background check on.
If you want to run an anonymous background check, then you should check out people’s search sites instead, such as PeopleFinders, Zaba Search, etc.
Is Checkr Trustworthy & Reliable?
When hiring employees for your company, it is your duty to make sure that the chosen candidate does not have any red flags in their background.
If you are using Checkr for the first time, then you might be curious to find out whether you can even rely on it to run employment background checks.
The platform offers detailed reports with good accuracy, so you can definitely rely on it.
USW Checkr Ratings
|Ease of use||4.4/5|
|Features & Services||4.3/5|
Customer Ratings And Reviews
Checkr has an average rating of 4.8 stars given by 235 customers on Capterra, which is good. But at the same time, it has a rating of 1.6 stars based on 43 votes on Trustpilot.
Interface and Use
Checkr’s interface is very sleek and easy to understand.
What we love most about Checkr’s website is that they have detailed information about all the searches that they can run for you, along with details as to how a certain type of check can help you.
There is also a blog section on their website where you can find valuable guides that you can take help with if you find yourself stuck at any point during your background check.
Customer Support and Security
As far as customer support is concerned, there is a chat bot available on their website with which you can chat. However, they have not shared a phone number or a customer support email address on their website.
We used Checkr to access a basic background check report on one of our candidates who came for the interview.
The report took some time to load, but we found all the necessary information we were looking for.
|Features||Positive adjudication matrix, Continuous monitoring system, etc.||Basic Drug tests, and more|
|Price||$21 for a standard background check||$29.99 per month|
|BBB rating||Not accredited||A+ rating|
|Tenant Screening||Not available||Not available|
What Differentiates It?
Checkr offers some really unique features like Laws limiting reportability, a Positive adjudication matrix, and Continuous monitoring system, etc., unlike any other background check company, and this is what differentiates Checkr.
In case you do not find Checkr useful, then here are some alternatives for you to try out:
InfoMart is a trustworthy platform that allows you to run not only employment background checks but also tenant background checks.
This platform offers background checks for a variety of industries, including manufacturing, hospitality, education, entertainment, and more.
It even offers features like Random Drug Testing, Electronic I-9 Form Filing, MVR Recertifications, etc. If you are interested in InfoMart, then have a look at its pricing:
- Simple plan: $28.95 per check
- Classic plan: $78.95 per check
- Popular plan: $53.95 per check
Sterling is a cloud-based global background check service that has been serving clients for over 45 years now. This platform offers features like I-9 and E-Verification, SSN trace, drug and health screening, etc.
Also, Sterling is one of our top-rated employee background check sites, and you can totally go for it as an alternative to Check.
Here’s what the pricing of Sterling looks like:
- Basic plan: $29.95/ check
- Preferred plan: $59.95/ check
- Pro plan: $79.95/ check
Much like Sterling, Accurate also offers diverse employment background check reports such as driving history records, drug & health screening, criminal background checks, and more.
Apart from this, Accurate also allows you to track pending orders, look for report status in real-time, offer 24×7 support, and more.
Here’s what Accurate’s pricing looks like:
- Basic: $29.95 per report
- Standard: $59.95 per report
- Premium: $74.95 per report
- Add ons: $9.95 each
How We Review Background Check Companies?
To review background check companies, we look for the following factors:
- Features and services.
- Information provided.
- Accuracy of reports.
- Online reputation.
- Customer reviews.
Now the final question is if you should go for Checkr? Well, it’s a yes from our side. Checkr is effective, efficient, and even has unique features to offer.
Yes, there are certain points they can improve upon, but overall it is a good screening platform to assist you.
Is Checkr Legit?
Yes, it is hundred percent legit. It has some noteworthy clients like Netflix, Uber, etc.
And as they have worked with such clients it just becomes easier to trust their creditworthiness.
Does Checkr have a free trial?
You can run your first search for free, but after that, it will charge you as per your choice of the report.
Its pricing is quite similar and competitive to other platforms like it.
From where does Checkr collect information?
It collects information from various public and private resources.
Does Checkr cost money?
Yes, Checkr costs money.
Is Checkr a good background check site?
Checkr is easy to use and offers a plethora of options to choose from. The pricing for the kind of information the company offers is quite fair, so yes, Checkr is a good background check site.
Shefali Jain is a Content Writer & Editor at USWorkforce.org
After completing her graduation in hospitality, Shefali decided to follow her passion and started writing. Shefali has been writing for two years now and contributes to our website as a skilled editor and content writer with strong research skills. Writing product and service reviews, biographies, and book reviews are some of her key areas, among many others in which she specializes. In her time at the organization, she has written and edited content on a range of topics, including employment law, human resources, and business management.
The US Workforce has a policy of producing high-quality content that follows industry standards by using primary sources, such as white papers and government data, alongside original reporting from reputable publishers. We also follow an editorial style where appropriate information about the topic can be found with due credit given when applicable.