If you have recently lost your job in West Virginia, you might be eligible for the Workforce Virginia WV unemployment benefit to help you cope with a difficult time.
In this article, we’ll share everything you need to know about Workforce West Virginia and also provide guidance on how you can apply for their unemployment insurance program and collect your benefit. Let’s get started!
|Guide||Workforce West Virginia|
|Funded by||U.S Department of Labor|
|Services Offered||Career assessment, resume preparation, and many more|
What Is Workforce West Virginia?
Workforce West Virginia (WV) is a state agency funded by the U.S Department of Labor. It oversees the state unemployment insurance program, along with the workforce development services to help West Virginia’s citizens and employers achieve financial stability in today’s economy.
The main goal of Workforce WV is to reduce the unemployment rate in Virginia by collaborating with government agencies, employers. They also aim at providing career guidance and training resources to job seekers to create a highly-skilled workforce.
Besides, Workforce WV has the largest online database for job openings in the state, helping job seekers find jobs that are most suitable for them. It has 13 career centers located throughout the state.
What Are The Primary Services Offered By Workforce West Virginia?
For the job seekers, Workforce WV offers the following services free of cost:
- Career assessment and guidance
- Access to a multitude of education and training programs
- Latest information about the job market
- Opportunity to attend workshops and job fairs
- Assistance with searching for jobs
- Resume and cover letter preparation
- Demo interviews for jobs
- Free access to computer and internet
What Is Workforce WV Unemployment Insurance Program?
WV Unemployment Insurance Program, also known as Unemployment Compensation (UC), provides financial assistance to eligible unemployed workers who have lost their jobs. A temporary benefit is provided to qualified individuals during eligible weeks for a partial wage replacement.
You need to register with the Workforce WV Employment Service and provide your details, such as the accurate reason why you are unemployed and how much you were earning. Weekly benefits are provided for up to one year. And also, you have to file a claim every week, as the unemployment benefit is retroactive. You’ll stop getting it if you won’t report your weekly loss of hours.
Who Is Eligible For The Workforce WV Unemployment Insurance Program?
Only the residents and employers of Virginia are eligible to apply for the Workforce WV unemployment insurance benefits program. You must be unemployed by no fault of your own and meet West Virginia’s other eligibility requirements. If you are unsure about your eligibility status, you can still apply.
The basic eligibility rules for unemployment benefits are the same in West Virginia as in every state, including:
- You must have earned a minimum amount in wages before you were unemployed.
- And also you must be unemployed through no fault of your own.
- You must actively seek a new job each week and be available for work.
You’re ineligible for the claim if you’re employed full time, receiving low earnings report from your employer, or haven’t worked in West Virginia during the last 18-month period.
Information Required To Apply For The Claim
You must have the following information available to complete the application successfully:
- Your Social Security Number.
- Complete address and Zip Code.
- Your employer’s complete name, address, phone number, zip code, and date of employment.
- Your phone number is where you’re reachable during regular business hours.
- If you’re not a U.S citizen, your alien registration number.
- Or if you’re employed in the Military, you need your DD-214 Military Form and attach a Member Copy to your claim.
- If you’re a member of a hiring union, provide the union name, address, and the name of the union representative with their telephone number.
- If you worked for the Federal government, you’d need the SF-8 Form attached to your claim.
How To Apply For Workforce WV Unemployment Benefits Program?
If you meet the eligibility requirements for UC, you can easily file your unemployment claim online. You can also apply for the claim over the phone, online, or in person at the claim office. Follow the instructions below to apply online:
- Open your browser and type uc.workforcewv.org.
- Select the radio button “To file a new/additional Initial unemployment Claim.
- Under “Have you filed a new unemployment claim with West Virginia in the last 12 months”? select No and click on “Continue.”
- Complete the security verification and click on “Continue.”
- Read the instructions carefully, and click on “Start My Claim Now.”
- Choose the state you live and answer the initial questions and
Click on “Continue.”
- Enter your Social Security Number and confirm it.
- Then Enter your Identification Number, confirm your PIN and click on “Continue.”
- Enter your name, mailing address, city, Zip code, zip extension, phone number, email address, qualification, and answer the security questions.
- Follow the instruction to complete the application.
There’s a one-week waiting period, so it’s best to apply as soon as you become unemployed to serve this waiting period. Keep in mind that benefits are retroactive, meaning you won’t receive the benefits during the period you fail to file the claim.
How To Appeal The Denial Of Unemployment Benefits?
If your claim is denied, you can file an appeal by writing a letter or filling out a form at your local unemployment office. A hearing will be conducted before an administrative law judge, by phone, or also in person. You have to provide evidence and also witness testimony at the hearing backing why you are eligible for the benefit. After evaluating the provided evidence, a judge will decide on your appeal.
Workforce WV handles unemployment benefits and also determines eligibility on an individual basis. Applicants are qualified for the benefit as long as they meet the eligibility requirements defined by the WV law.
If you’re unemployed and haven’t applied for the Workforce WV unemployment benefits program, don’t wait any longer. Apply ASAP to protect your assets from depleting and replace lost income.
How to check the status of my unemployment claim in Workforce WV?
To check your claim status, visit http://www.uc.workforcewv.org and click on the “If you’re a claimant and also want specific information about your claim.”
How much does the Workforce WV Unemployment Insurance program pay?
The amount of your benefit is calculated based on your past wages. Also the minimum weekly benefit is $24, while the maximum is $424 per week.
How long would I get the unemployment benefit from Workforce WV?
You may receive the unemployment benefit for up to 26 weeks. Also, If the unemployment rate is high, additional weeks of benefits may be available.
Shefali Jain is a Content Writer & Editor at USWorkforce.org
After completing her graduation in hospitality, Shefali decided to follow her passion and started writing. Shefali has been writing for two years now and contributes to our website as a skilled editor and content writer with strong research skills. Writing product and service reviews, biographies, and book reviews are some of her key areas, among many others in which she specializes. In her time at the organization, she has written and edited content on a range of topics, including employment law, human resources, and business management.