In today’s world of digitalization and the ability to reach everything easily, it’s important to use it to your advantage to make sure of everyone around you.
Background check services have been long popular with employers, people going out on dates, and for other reasons.
In this kind of world where it’s popular to use them, it’s quite common to see competing and similar services.
Instant Checkmate and TruthFinder are two of the many popular background check services that resemble each other very much.
They research all the publicly available files to give you a report of the person you are searching for.
If you are trying to decide which of these two popular services is better for you, you are in the right place because we will compare the two in this article.
|Pricing||$35.12/mo ($28.09/mo for 3 months membership)||$28.05/mo ($23.28/mo for bi-monthly)|
|Reports||Birth information, photos, phone numbers, social media profiles, email addresses, address history, employment, educational history, assets, business ownership, criminal records, traffic records||Address, photos, social media profiles, location history, associated people, related people, birth information, phone number, email address, employment history, educational history, possible associates, business ownership, assets, criminal records, traffic records, court records|
|Payment Method||Paypal, Visa, Mastercard||Paypal, Visa, Mastercard|
|Features||Mobile-friendly website, Android app||Mobile-friendly website, Android app, iOS app|
|Customer Support||Email, on-call, Facebook & Twitter, physical address||Email, on-call, physical address|
Why Choose Instant Checkmate?
Instant Checkmate has been around for over a decade, providing many people with background check reports.
The website is very much focused on its search field, which specializes in public record searches.
Instant Checkmate creates a comprehensive report to show you the results of their public record searches.
You can make a search by name or through reverse phone lookup if you are not a member, but members can use email and address to make searches.
Instant Checkmate’s report is extremely comprehensive that includes the person’s social media presence, criminal history, sex offense history, assets, tax liens, and so on.
The platform also provides a detailed breakdown of each of these points in the report.
However, Instant Checkmate works on very expensive fees compared to its rivals. They have a mobile-friendly website and an Android app but not an iOS app.
Why Choose TruthFinder?
TruthFinder has been making background checks for their users for longer times than Instant Checkmate.
Their service is generally more presentable, well-presented, polished, and easy to read, which is what their experience in the industry brings.
TruthFinder’s website is overall well designed and aims to make the process as easy as it gets for the visitors with tutorials and explanations on the website.
They provide the same type of reports as Instant Checkmate and put it in a very well-designed report.
In addition, TruthFinder offers a deep web scan to see if your information is leaked to the internet, which is what Instant Checkmate can’t do.
It’s also more budget-friendly in its prices compared to Instant Checkmate’s hefty fees for subscription packages.
Also Read: Intelius Vs BeenVerified – Comparison 2023
Comparison & Winner Based On:
– Instant Checkmate offers many features like people search function, criminal history feature, reverse phone lookup, and countless other reports.
They also have a mobile-friendly website and an app suitable for Android but not iOS.
– TruthFinder also offers many reports on different methods to search for people. Their reports are as comprehensive as Instant Checkmate, but they provide their reports in an easy-to-read manner.
You also get unlimited searches with a monthly subscription. TruthFinder also gives you a deep web scan in addition to the classic reports. They have a mobile-friendly website and an Android and iOS app.
Winner – TruthFinder. It mostly offers better features, is cheaper, and makes everything easy, from making the background check to read the report.
– Instant Checkmate’s website is modern, robust, and right to the bat. You can perform your search in minutes after entering the website.
If you are looking for something else, you can also find that easily without getting lost in the crowd.
– TruthFinder’s platform is very easy to use and aims to make the newcomer’s experience as smooth as possible.
You can make your search with just one click after filling in the information and entering the website.
Winner – Draw. Both have a very modern website and are extremely easy to use.
They focus on making the search with as few clicks as possible, but you can also find other pieces of information on their website easily.
Sign Up Process
– To sign up for Instant Checkmate, you need to go to their website and start a search for someone. It could even be yourself.
You will get the reports after the search is done, and after clicking on “view report,” you will be redirected to open an account and purchase an Instant Checkmate subscription.
– For TruthFinder, you can either do the same process as Instant Checkmate or click on the “sign up” button on the top right corner of the website, create an account, and purchase a subscription package.
Winner – TruthFinder. It offers two different methods, and you can create an account without having to make a search first. It’s easier and faster.
– You can opt out of your Instant Checkmate subscription with three different methods.
You can call them, send them an email, or go online through your account by going to the membership settings and account tab and clicking on the “cancel subscription” button.
You need to know your first name, last name, and Instant Checkmate email address for the other two methods.
– With TruthFinder, you can either call them during work hours or online through their website to opt out of your subscription.
If you want to do it online, you just need to visit the membership settings page of your account and click on “cancel subscription.” The cancellation process will start right away.
Winner – Instant Checkmate. Both platforms offer almost the same service, but Instant Checkmate also has the option to use email for those who want it. That puts Instant Checkmate one step ahead.
Ease Of Use
– Instant Checkmate has a very intuitive, right-to-the-bat, and modern design. You directly see the screen to make your search when you enter the website, and you can do it right away without having to spend time locating it.
Additionally, if you need further information about their pricing, customer support, how they work, and anything else, they have a very detailed page to help you.
You can find this page and other details right under the website with just one click.
– TruthFinder is designed to make everything simple, from making your search to reading your reports. They are all easy to read and navigate.
You can make a search with just one click after entering the information on the website. You can do so without getting lost on the website if you need additional information or learn something else.
Winner – Instant Checkmate. They are very close to each other in terms of ease of use and have a modern and easy-to-use website.
However, Instant Checkmate compiled every question into one page to help newcomers, which makes this website even easier to use.
– Instant Checkmate uses the available public information to give you the report you need. This means that most of the information is accurate and legit.
However, some reviews say that their reports included inaccurate information. Compared to all the reviews, this takes up a very small percentage, making Instant Checkmate mostly accurate.
– Similar to Instant Checkmate, TruthFinder also uses the public information available online to create its reports.
This means that even though most of the information is accurate, there is sometimes outdated or simply inaccurate information in the reports, as stated by the customers.
Winner – Draw. Both services offer almost similar accuracy in their reports. They do not provide 100% accurate results, but their accuracy results are also close to 100%.
– Instant Checkmate’s pricing is $35.12/mo, but you can get it for $28.09/mo if you opt for 3 month membership).
– TruthFinder costs $28.05/mo, but it’s $23.28/mo for a bi-monthly subscription.
Winner – TruthFinder. Their fees are extra low compared to Instant Checkmate’s very hefty fees.
– You have the option to reach Instant Checkmate through the phone during work hours, by going to their offices in San Diego, or by sending an email through their contact form on their website.
They don’t offer 7/24 customer service or help through social media. With inquiries through the contact form, reviews suggest that they are fast to answer back.
– TruthFinder also offers on-call, physical address, and email help, but they also offer help through Facebook and Twitter social media accounts. Similar to Instant Checkmate, they also don’t have 7/24 customer service.
According to reviews, their response time varies between 24 to 48 hours when you send them an email or a message.
Winner – TruthFinder. They offer two other options, and their answer rate is almost the same as Instant Checkmate.
Also Read: What Does A Background Check Show?
Instant Checkmate and TruthFinder almost offer the same thing since they were founded by the same people.
However, between the two, it’s clear that TruthFinder is the better choice in many ways, both in terms of pricing and also for the extra feature, the deep web scanning.
With TruthFinder, you pay way less and get an extra feature that is very important for many people.
Compared to what it offers, Instant Checkmate’s hefty fees do not justify their fees at all.
Are Instant Checkmate and TruthFinder my only two options for background check services?
There are countless background check services online that you can use. Instant Checkmate and TruthFinder are just the two popular services many people use.
Are the owners of these two background check services the same?
Yes. Instant Checkmate and TruthFinder have the same owners. Joey Rocco and Kristian Kibak started these services.
Can there be a security issue when I issue Instant Checkmate or TruthFinder?
Both of these services use the public information available to everyone. This means that they just look through them to compile your report.
There can’t be any security issue for anyone as they are not doing anything illegal.
Shefali Jain is a Content Writer & Editor at USWorkforce.org
After completing her graduation in hospitality, Shefali decided to follow her passion and started writing. Shefali has been writing for two years now and contributes to our website as a skilled editor and content writer with strong research skills. Writing product and service reviews, biographies, and book reviews are some of her key areas, among many others in which she specializes. In her time at the organization, she has written and edited content on a range of topics, including employment law, human resources, and business management.